As a subconsultant to International Resources Group (IRG), First Environment is providing greenhouse gas (GHG) management support for the U.S. Agency for International Development’s (USAID’s) B-LEADERS project in the Philippines. The purpose of B- LEADERS is to contribute to the objective of increasing climate change resilience and mitigation.
First Environment’s responsibilities included a comprehensive review of previously completed GHG management plans for several municipalities, including Batangas City, Iloilo City, the Province of Aurora, and Makati City. In coordination with local government units (LGUs), First Environment staff held face-to-face meetings and provided recommendations for improvements in the plans. Upon approval, the team completed the following tasks:
- Prepared revised methodologies and procedures to calculate Business As Usual scenarios (BAUs)
- Developed tools for quantifying/estimating potential GHG emission reductions arising from the reduction activities identified in the GHG management plans
- Submitted draft revisions to plans
- Created training materials and curriculum and conducted on-site trainings for LGUs at each municipality
- Composed summary reports of all meetings and trainings
In addition to the updates and revision to the management plans, First Environment also conducted on-site workshops to train Province of Aurora representatives in the use of the Agriculture, Forestry and Other Land Use (AFOLU) software. In preparation for the workshops, the project team reviewed existing data for applicability to the software’s function and developed user-friendly training materials and exercises.