First Environment was retained by Recycling Business Group (RBG) of UNICOR Federal Prison Industries (UNICOR) under a task order contract to assist them in designing, developing and implementing an integrated quality (ISO 9001), environmental (ISO 14001), and health and safety (OHSAS 18001) management system to implement the requirements of the Responsible Recycling (R2) Standard and enable conformance with federal Executive Order 13514.
Project activities executed by First Environment were authorized via five separate task orders issued during the contract period of performance.
To develop and implement the integrated management system, First Environment conducted on-site consulting and assessment activities at seven recycling factories across the country. Each factory was located within the confines of a United States Penitentiary (USP) or Federal Correctional Institution (FCI). The seven locations included:
- United States Penitentiary – Leavenworth, KS
- United States Penitentiary – Atwater, CA
- Federal Correctional Institution – Tucson, AZ
- Federal Correctional Institution – Fort Dix, NJ
- Federal Correctional Institution – Marianna, FL
- United States Penitentiary – Lewisburg, PA
- Federal Correctional Institution – Texarkana, TX