Archaeological Field Technician
First Environment, Inc., a well-established, environmental consulting services industry leader is looking for four part-time Archaeological Field Technicians to participate in a short-term cultural resources investigation – Phase I archaeological survey. The work will be conducted under an Archaeological Resources Protection Act permit on National Park Service land in the Gateway National Recreation Area, Staten Island, New York. The contract Field Technicians will work under the guidance and oversight of a Field Director and a Principal Investigator to perform Cultural Resource Management (CRM) field shovel tests.
The fieldwork for this contract is expected to start around January 2021 and is expected to take approximately 3-4 weeks to complete.
- Review the Phase IA literature search background for the site
- As part of the field team, dig shovel test pits following methodology, at designated 15-meter intervals, over an approximately 12.3-acre area
- Under the guidance of the Principal Investigator, follow the Standards for Cultural Resource Investigations and the Curation of Archaeological Collections in New York State
- Evaluate shovel test pit contents for artifacts by sifting/screening
- Manage shovel test pit materials including sampling and weighing, as needed
- Potential fieldwork for the verification of structure remains
- Adhere to the site Health and Safety Plan
- Graduate or undergraduate work in archaeology, anthropology, or closely related field
- Experience with field methodologies including survey, testing, excavation, and monitoring
- Completion of field school preferred
- Experience with Survey 123 or Arc Collector software experience is a plus
- Ability to carry equipment up to 40 lbs
- Ability to work outside on uneven terrain and in various weather conditions for long periods
- Must have a valid driver’s license
- Team player with a high degree of self-motivation
Pay range to be commensurate with the level of experience.
First Environment is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, creed, color, national origin, ancestry, marital status, affectional or sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, nationality or sex.
Please send your resumé by mail, fax, or e-mail to:
First Environment, Inc.
Attn: Human Resources Manager
10 Park Place
Building 1A, Suite 504
Butler, NJ 07405
Email: [email protected]